Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Power

In 2001, in the regular conduct of my career as journeyman computer researcher, I made the acquaintance of one "Martin Artiano". Together we concocted a scheme for his benefit, mine, and I hoped, my organization. I was unable to deliver my end of the bargain and the relationship ended.

If you Google this name, at least at the present time, you will find that it is quite unique; all links lead to the same individual. Quite the opposite of my given name, of which there are three just in my local phone book and hundreds and hundreds across the country.

However, the material you will glean from such a search will not tell you much about him. The most telling is a single veiled innuendo in regards to the Iran/Contra affair of Reagan's presidency. The reference, however, reveals little.

I came to know enough about him during our relationship to realize that for a time, he had been the most powerful man in the world. I am fascinated that so few
common peoplle have ever even heard of his name, and apparently nobody on the whole
Internet knows much of anything about him.

Having a preference to remain above ground, I'm not going to tell you all anything about him either. I just want to mention that real power is quite different from either fame or money. Artiano had the power to move mountains, to redraw national boundaries, to start or end wars. Clearly, he also had the power and good sense and ability to keep his own name unknown.

By the time I met him, he was douwnsizing gracefully yet still keeping his fingers in the world pie. Once he learned that I have a taste for chocolate he offered me a blind date with Condi, and I'm sure he would have delivered if I had only kept up my end.

The only reason I mention all of this is to remind you all that what you read in the papers and history books and here on the television news is a far distant cry from what is really going on.....

No comments: