Sunday, April 29, 2012

new word

Ever heard of "glossolalia" before? I congregate with folk who do this fairly frequently. It does not impress me. In stark contrast, what first captured my imagination and my heart about Ethiopia was the sound of their language. Though I did not "understand" the words I could feel a depth of expression, a love of life, of fun, of beauty, of diversity, of gentility. I knew that others could and it ignited my curiosity, my fervor. just sayin' Update .... I ran across some words of Paul on this same subject ... He is not exactly my favourite apostle, and he is more diplomatic, but seems to have very similar opinion to mine .... "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues..." 1 Corinthians 145: 1-5

No comments: